Fossil Free SA is supporting the divestment work of Fossil Free Stellenbosch, a student-led campaign of EcoMaties:
Social links and contacts
Sample campaign timeline
View all our fully up-to-date FFSA campaign timelines here.
- 24 November: The Stellenbosch University Investment Committee declines to meet with Fossil Free SA and Fossil Free Stellenbosch to discuss the case for divestment.
- 4 October: Fossil Free Stellenbosch launches a new petition calling on the university to divest from fossil fuels.
- 3 October: Fossil Free SA writes to SU, requesting an opportunity to present the case for divestment to the investment committee of the university council.
- 20 September: The Fossil Free Stellenbosch campaign hosts a second campus dialogue on fossil fuel divestment.
- 19 April: As part of the Earth Week Dialogue Series, students organised a fresh dialogue on divestment, with a panel that included Stellenbosch University (SU) chief operating officer Prof Stan Du Plessis, SU sustainability manager John de Wet, Stellenbosch mayoral committee member Lwando Nkamisa, vice-chair and coordinator at Fossil Free South Africa David Le Page, student governance representative Anele Mdepa, and event organiser Muhammed Lokhat.
- 25 March: Calls for SU to divest are renewed by speakers at the PeopleNotProfit protest for climate justice in Stellenbosch.
- 13 February: The German podcast ‘Stories of Climate Change Hope’ profiles the early Fossil Free Stellenbosch campaign.
- 27 July: Die Matie profiles the Fossil Free Stellenbosch campaign: ‘Stellenbosch ‘can do more for the environment’.
- 5 May: May Boeve, Executive Director of the 350.org international campaign, addressed students on fossil fuel divestment at the 12 May 2015 FVZS Discoursé Café.
- First Stellenbosch divestment petition established.
- Fossil Free Stellenbosch movement launched.